Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Voices of Recovery :: There’s a simple way out of addiction

Addiction is a disease that makes someone unable to deal with and accept reality. Behind the lies and excuses there is someone inside every addict that is seeking something more, something out of the ordinary. I know from first experience with being that person. I was an addict lost with dreams and unable to cope with life and feelings. Today I am no longer that person but a man who has had the opportunity to find a way out of addiction. But for a recovering addict like me, I have to have it simple.

Simplicity is the key to the Narcotics Anonymous program. The simplicity of the program is found in the symbol of Narcotics Anonymous which is the foundation of a life free of drugs. The symbol is made up of Self, Society, Service, Goodwill, and God. By incorporating these thing into my daily life by physically staying fit, 12 step meetings, helping addicts and friends, and church, I have a great life today. I am so grateful for today that I have found that way out with the help and fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous and through the twelve steps.

After being a drug addicted dope fiend, sitting in jail, without my son, and lost in a world that’s end is death, I am no longer that person. Three and a half years later and clean I am able to be a believer of seeking something more, something true, and something pure. I have never felt so free in my life and happier with the man I see in the mirror. Grateful that the old lie once an addict always an addict has been lifted. Today we do recover!


Written by a Lafayette Resident in Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment