With the holiday entertaining just around the corner, we encourage you to follow these tips on how to host responsible holiday party where alcohol will be present.
1. Designate a bartender who can serve your guests and keep an eye on how much everyone is drinking. The Federal Dietary Guidelines define moderate drinking as up to two drinks per day for men and up to one drink per day for women.
2. Remember – alcohol is alcohol. It is important to understand that a standard drink of regular beer (12 fluid ounces), wine (five fluid ounces), and spirits (a cocktail with 1.5 fluid ounces of 80-proof spirits) each contains the same amount of alcohol, 0.6 fluid ounces of alcohol. (www.standarddrinks.com)
3. Make sure that you provide food to complement your cocktails.
4. Make available non-alcohol beverages for your guests. Create festive non-alcohol punch for those guests who choose not to drink alcohol.
5. Make sure your guests have a safe way home either through designated drivers or a taxi. Have local taxi service numbers available for your guests.